Health Services

Our Team

Health Services is the nursing program within the Student Support Department. We are committed to assuring a safe and healthy learning environment for all learners. Our team of professional RNs, LPNs and health room assistants are experts in student health in the educational environment.

What We Do

Our nurses work with students, families, and school staff to ensure all children can participate fully in school. Serving all students enrolled in the Olympia School District, the nurse’s role is to ensure students receive required screenings, are compliant with immunization laws, have required Individual Health Plans (IHP) in place and that school staff are trained on the individual needs of students with chronic health conditions. Our nurses also support a positive safe school climate, assist the school team in disability accommodations, provide direct nursing care, and delegate safe medication administration to school staff. Our goal is that all children are successful in school.

Students with Health Conditions


Life-Threatening Health Conditions (RCW 28A.210.320 & WAC 392.380)

Washington State law requires that when there is a student with a known life-threatening health condition, schools must be prepared for a life-threatening event on the day the student starts school. Please complete the appropriate forms and take needed medication(s) to the school before your child's first day of attendance. If you have questions, please call your school nurse. These documents need to provide current information and should be prepared after July 1 for the following school year.

Severe Allergy/Anaphylaxis:



*Contact your school nurse if your child has a life-threatening health condition other than a severe allergy in order to create an Individual Health Plan (IHP)/504.

Asthma (RCW 28A.210.370)



Diabetes (RCW 28A.210.330)



*Please have your student’s Health Care Provider (HCP) fax a copy of their diabetes care plan to the school health office. Contact your school nurse before school starts in order to create an Individual Health Plan/504.

Seizures (RCW 28A.210.260, RCW 28A 210.320)



*Please have your student’s HCP fax a copy of their seizure care plan to the school’s health office. For other life-threatening health conditions: please contact your school nurse for information on creating a health plan/504.

Medication at School (RCW 28A.210.260 & 28A.210.270)

State or federal law requires that a form must be completed and signed by both parent/guardian and a licensed health care provider with prescriptive authority for ALL medications to be given at school, including over-the-counter (OTC) medications (e.g., cough drops, lip balm, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, benadryl). This form needs to be renewed at the beginning of each school year.


Please Note: for the safety of all students, elementary school levels are not permitted to self-carry medication. Do NOT send medication to school with your elementary student, a parent must bring all medication for check-in. Call the school health office if you have any questions or concerns.



Diet Prescription for Meals at School

Health-care provider must complete and sign that the student needs special school meals prepared or served because of the student's disability or chronic medical condition.



When To Keep Your Sick Child Home From School


Immunizations (RCW 28A.210)



State law requires proof of immunization status in order for students to enroll in school. Proof of immunization status needs to be a provider verified Certificate of Immunization Status. Provider verified proof of immunization includes:


  • Official lifetime immunization record with a provider stamp or signature.

  • Official immigration immunization record.

  • Immunization record printed from a healthcare provider, clinic, or hospital.

  • Written immunization record with a provider stamp or signature.

  • Immunization record printed from the Washington Immunization Information System (WA IIS).


Families can access their child’s immunization information and Certificate of Immunization form through the Department of Health website MyIR. You will need to set up an account to access the information. You can also call or email DOH office [email protected] or 1 (866) 397-0337.


State Law allows exemptions to the immunization requirements for religious, medical, or personal reasons. These are recorded on a Certificate of Exemption (COE).

As of July 28, 2019, Washington State law will no longer allow students to have personal or philosophical exemptions from the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine required for school entry. Details can be found on the Department of Health website.

Certificate of Exemptions (COE) to immunization requirements:

Beginning with applications received after 7/22/2011 exemptions require both parent/guardian and health-care provider's signature except for certain religious exemptions.


Questions? Contact your school nurse.